Monday, June 6, 2011

Going to Colorado. How can I prepare for the drastic change in altitude?

I'm going to Colorado Springs (6,000+ ft. above sea level) in 2 weeks for an intense 4 day camp at the Air Force Academy. I, however, live in the Bay Area, where the highest altitude is only 400 ft. I work out fairly frequently, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to prepare physically, besides run my butt off.Going to Colorado. How can I prepare for the drastic change in altitude?
When I go out west to high altitude areas to hike (I live in Wisconsin), I increase my water consumption, don't drink any alcohol, and try to stay away from aspirin and ibuprofin to decrease the likelihood of nose bleeds. If you're able to, you might want to come out to C.S. a couple of days early to adjust to the altitude. I've included some websites that have some suggestions for things you can do to adjust.Going to Colorado. How can I prepare for the drastic change in altitude?
The only thing you can do is go there and adapt to it. Take care of yourself, get lots of sleep and water and eat balanced meals. That will help
Sleep with the windows and doors cloesd and put masking tape on the edges so no air can get it. This will help you get used to less oxygen.
it's really not THAT drastic, I go from that same 6,000ft to 13 or even 14,000ft all the time. You'll be out of breath and have a slight headache if you're doing something strenuous, but that's remedied by drinking a LOT of water and toughing it out.
I think Susan has the right idea, you should try to get here a week or so ahead of time and just get used to walking up and down stairs in town, then try some jogging. It seems that every time we have relatives come visit, someone ends up with altitude sickness. Running your butt off at home will help, if you add weight in a pack to really push it hard. I've lived in Colorado my whole life, 37 years now and I've learned to hyperventilate early in a hike (backwoods hunting) to prevent becoming winded to quickly when hitting the steep stuff. Breathing heavily, like you are getting winded, before you need to will get more oxygen in the blood and will help a bit.
came from Bay Area to Pueblo Colorado. I just moved slower and got winded when hiking.

It's really not that drastic ENJOY COLORADO
the altitude change realy dosn't affect you unless your realy out of shape or have bad lungs but you may be a lil more tired than normal.and good luck at the academy

No comments:

Post a Comment