Monday, June 6, 2011

How to change the water in a tank for guppies?

I currently have 6 guppies(1 pregnant :)!) and i am scared to change the water becuase the last time i changed the water my last set of guppies died except for one. should i use spring water or what?How to change the water in a tank for guppies?
You want to change water with the least amount of stress possible for the fish. Netting them out of the tank is not the way to go about a water change without causing stress. I suggest you do a weekly 25% water change. Use a gravel siphon to clean the gravel as you go. Using tap water, adjust the temperature to be very, very close to the same as your tank. Test them both with the same thermometer and see that they are within about 5 degrees of each other. Treat the water with a chlorine and chloramine remover. Then carefully and slowly add the new water back to the tank. That is a totally safe and normal water change procedure that literally millions of people have used for decades, so it's well proven to work safely and with as low stress as possible.



MMHow to change the water in a tank for guppies?
And I change my fish's water with a cup, and I dont use a thermometer, I just let the water be lukewarm and my guppies are alive and kicking. Also what does it mean when a guppies eyes get really black and big? I also have colourful gravel and some fake reeds to protect fry

Report Abuse


I am not an expert, but here is my advice. Take the fish out carefully with a net, the special fish ones. Place the Guppies in another tank or bowl, with clean water and replace the old water in the other tank. Use the net to place them back in the tank. I hope this helps!
I ususally only do partial water changes when it in necessary. When levels are not where they should be. I have quite a bit of water jugs with water storage. I use those to replace. The water is at room temp. and the chlorine is not an issue as it sits over time.
I guess the mistake you made before was taking them out of the tank and doing a complet waterchange

you don't have to do that

You should only do partial water changes of 25% with a gravelsiphon once a week

And don't forget to put waterconditioner in your new water before you add it



Hope that helps

Good luck



EB
  • faults next to targus mini mouse
  • made on fingernails
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment