Monday, June 6, 2011

I changed a valve spring on my generator, but now it will not start?

I have a 1997 4200 watt 7.8 generator that I changed the valve spring on because the old one broke. When I took the old one out I pulled the crank cord so the valve would go all the way up then I simply put the new spring in and put the cover back on.

But now it will not start, is there something I needed to do first before trying to start it

I did not put the piston on TDC if that is in issue what can I do or is there another reason why it not starting like maybe a timing issue, if it is a timing issue how can I set up to the right timeI changed a valve spring on my generator, but now it will not start?
your timing should not be the issue you did not mess with your crankshaft did you?TDC should not matter as long as you didn't mess with the timing gears or crank shaft. if it is sputtering maybe a stuck valve.I really wish I would see it.it is real hard to determine off of the internet.I changed a valve spring on my generator, but now it will not start?
I'm a little confused on how you replaced the spring. Are you saying you brought the engine around until the valve was closed and then replaced the spring? You mentioned to where it was all the way up. So I am assuming you檙e talking closing the valve. If that檚 the case I would check and make sure you are getting compression on the Cylinder. It檚 possible when the old spring broke it caused damage to the valve. If compression is good, then the other problem may be with the ignition pick up on the rotor shaft. You may have missed a wire during the re-assembly of the engine. Check these out and see what you find. Good luck.
Right about now I would be removing the cylinder head and checking for damage to the valve and piston.

No comments:

Post a Comment