Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How can I improve my running?

I am a 9th grader long distance runner on varsity winter track looking to improve my times for spring. I can not change my workouts, but was wondering what i could do to further improve. My times are:

400-65s

800-2:30

1600-5:44

3000- 11:28

5k(xc)-21:21How can I improve my running?
Are you trying to improve all your times or a particular distance type? In an 800 meter event you would need a fair amount of aerobic training but for 5k you need to train almost exclusively on aerobic to get maximal benefit.



To optimize your 5k times get a heart rate monitor and train at 160-170 beats a minute, mostly on runs of 2-5 miles during the week. Once a week do speedwork 200s or 400s at near maximum effort. After 3 months of strictly following this regimen your heartrate will be the same for faster 5k times. This is because you will have maximized the training of your aerobic muscle tissues.



Mix in one more speedwork session in exchange for a distance session if you want to focus on lesser distances.How can I improve my running?
All I can say is keep practicing and keep hydrated!!!
Just keep practicing hard. Those times are golden for a freshman, just keep doing what you're doing.
Hey I'm a 7Th grader and i play basket ball as a guard so i have to be fast. my dad used to play soccer for 26 years and he told me that what you can do is go find some stairs or like a high platform, which you can jump on easily. Put your strong foot on the platform and switch them back and forth (jump, switch the foot on the platform, land). It really improved my speed. before i started to do it my mile was 8 minutes, after this it dropped down to 6 minutes.
Well I'm a sophomore and the only thing you can really do as a distance runner is run in the mornings. Sort of like a double session work out. You just want to get in some miles if you want some drastic change. That helps alot. I dropped my times by a ton by doing these. I'm on JV but i was very unathletic and got a lot better here are my old and new times.



400-70/55

800-2:40/2:10

1000-3:30/310

1600-6:36/5:40

3000:??...lol

5k: 21:00
well Im a 7th grader and I have your times beat

No comments:

Post a Comment