Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Spring is a difficult season of change for me, so I went with a volleyball net and a mini Christmas tree; How?

would you react if you walked into my office at a professional workplace and saw this?





I am really torn between winter and summer, so I decided to have both themes going.



So far no one has walked in, but how would YOU react?



I do have a volleyball, and I placed summer-like ornaments on the Christmas tree.Spring is a difficult season of change for me, so I went with a volleyball net and a mini Christmas tree; How?
Not to rip on you or anyhting, but this seems like something I would expect from a UC Berkeley graduate...



I don't personally feel it's work appropriate, but I don't think anyone will be offended by it or raise a stink about it...expect maybe some snickering around the water cooler though.Spring is a difficult season of change for me, so I went with a volleyball net and a mini Christmas tree; How?
I'd think you were a bit unusual, but I'm sure that upon making your acquaintance I'd accept it as just being part of your quirky (in a good sense) personality. On the other hand, you should consider how people who will never really make your acquaintance will see you. Your bosses, let's say, or their bosses, or the people on other projects you have to work with.



I would expand this out beyond just the misplaced Christmas tree. Many people will form negative impressions of anybody with extensive non-professional trinkets in their offices. Notice that I do not mean ';non-professional'; pejoratively; I mean it descriptively. Unless your profession happens to be a seasonal one involving Christmas trees in the winter and recreational sports in the summer, these are not related to your profession.



So, while it will not be a barrier to those who you work closely with, I would seriously consider what impression you want to make on the people you work with more casually (again, using the term descriptively).



And then consider taking them home and displaying them there.
I would think you were a total weirdo. Here's an idea: keep your office professional looking--get rid of anything seasonal.
  • stars myspace
  • how to put numbers on keys
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment