Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Replacing leaf springs on a minivan .. advice needed.?

Keep in mind, I know very little about vehicles short of how to drive one. ;)



My hubby informed me tonight that we ';have to'; immediately replace the leaf springs on one side of the van. We have a '95 Plymouth Voyageur, btw. So, the van has been subtly 'leaning' for quite some time, probably 6 months or more. Today, he got under the van, and ran inside to tell me we have to park the van until we changed one of the leaf springs.



Now, my hubby knows quite a bit about a lot of different things, but occasionally, he tends to overreact about things he may NOT be so knowledgeable about. So, I'm double checking to be sure, since I don't have a clue one way or the other.



The van has been running fine for the past 6 months, even though this problem has apparently been there the whole time. I'm not convinced it's something we have to run out and do RIGHT THIS SECOND, instead of waiting until payday when we have a little extra, when it hasn't presented a problem up until now.



Also, I've been checking a few forums, and from what I can understand (and I could absolutely be wrong) both springs should be changed at the same time? Is this right?



He says that we either have to change the spring (singular) or he can do a quick fix with c-clamps, but that the van isn't to be moved until he does one or the other. After 6 months of good behavior (the van, not him lol) I don't get the urgency all of a sudden when this problem has been there the whole time.



Can someone with more experience with cars and fixing them help me out on this? If those experienced with cars tell me that my hubby has the right idea, I'll not only apologize to him for doubting his mechanical genius, I'll pass him the tools. ;) Replacing leaf springs on a minivan .. advice needed.?
It all depends on the severity of the problem and whether the spring has just sagged with age or has cracked or broken leaves, also if any of the wheels are fouling the wheel arches.



You don't say where you are, I am in Australia and driving a vehicle here with a pronounced lean will invite the attention of the boys in blue and the issue of a mechanical unfitness sticker.



Worn or broken springs can seriously impair the handling of the vehicle and adversely affect steering geometry, overload suspension parts, wear tyres and increase braking distance and stability. Not a very safe scenario.



However if the lean is only very slight and the spring isn't broken, I would agree a few more days is neither here nor there.



In Australia, semi elliptical leaf springs can be reconditioned at a lesser cost than brand new. It is best to fit them in axle pairs.



Don't forget to check the shock absorbers because weak shocks can cause spring failure.Replacing leaf springs on a minivan .. advice needed.?
First off both should be replaced at the same time. Next i'll assume one is cracked or broken, and if i recall the Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth vans don't have a leaf ';pack'; with stacked leafs, they have one single leaf. If this separates it could b catastrophic. you could lose the rear axle and cause much damage to the vehicle and cause an accident that may hurt yourself/family and others. Those parts should be easy to find at a salvage yard. You may even be able to replace the broken one only with a used one, otherwise the new ones should be replaced in pairs.
You can get by with fixing just the one IF it`s from the same model, I.E. a spring from a grand Caravan if you have a grand caravan, or the regular caravan if you have the regular caravan. The spring must be broken in half if it must be replaced. it does not happen often but leaf springs do break in half.



';people'; say you need to change both, but they are neither poor, nor do they know what you can actually get away with.



I replaced ONE of them in my `75 Nova. The car was just fine after that.



Tell him to do it, and only the one side will be fine, even if it`s used. The side to side stability of the van is controlled by the front anti-sway bar anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment