Saturday, November 20, 2010

How hard is it to replace airbags in a Lincoln Towncar?

I'm about to go pick up a Lincoln towncar signature series. the rear air bags are down I think ...it could just be a line. How much would it cost to replace? Can we do it on our own? Is it possible to change to spring suspension? I love this ol 92. I know it will last me long time. I need to know. I need to know more about that year and make.How hard is it to replace airbags in a Lincoln Towncar?
I agree with the above posts that you should consider junking the air suspension, which fixing it only prolongs the inevitablity of more of the same problems later.(You like the car forever, remember?)(So do I !!)

Luckily, I purchased my 1994 Town Car after someone else junked the airbags and put the rear coils and 4 shock absorbers all round, so that ';Lincoln ride'; never got me. It still rides as good as any Crown Vic I ever road in, and that should be good enough for anybody.

Please do what these guys say: Find the rear coils at the wrecking yard, get some new rear shocks and believe it or not, your car has the front and rear shock hangers on it, so they will go right on it. You'll be set up when you get this fix in place. It will ride good, too.

However, the ';rear suspension'; idiot light in the instrument cluster will be on all the time, but that is no deal breaker to get that ';rear end sag'; gone. (I included a link to a website; you need to see all the fix it yourself stuff you can do.) See below and Enjoy!How hard is it to replace airbags in a Lincoln Towncar?
The compressor doesn't cause the airbags to drop there is a leak somewhere or a malfunction in the system but its not the pump. A car that age I wouldn't try to keep the air suspension going just change it out. Either get the conversion or if you know a salvage yard that has Ford CV or Mercury Marquis and take the springs off of one of those and you don't have to remove the pump or anything like that just go in the trunk and disconnect the module its on the right side in the trunk.
ON THAT YEAR MODEL, I WOULD NOT TRY TO REPAIR. YOU HAVE AIR LINES, PUMP, DRYER, SENSORS AND MODULE THAT GIVE PROBLEMS. CONVERTING WOULD BE THE BEST SOLUTION AND STILL KEEP THE LINCOLN RIDE. YOU CAN DO THIS FOR LESS THAN $300.00 AND NEVER WORRY AGAIN. MORE QUESTIONS? GIVE ME A CALL 866-597-2397, ASK FOR MIKE OR E-MAIL ME.
It's not a line.



The compressor took a dump. Costs money, too.



Do the above and swap to coils.



You will notice a fatter wallet by not dealing with airbag suspension.
there is a coil spring replacement kit. if you do convert to coil



springs you need to disable your compressor to the air bags.



the kit runs about 100 to 150 dollars. the kit will come with instructions on how to install them.



it is not that hard of a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment