Monday, November 22, 2010

How do I change the door hinge spring on an 85 chevy pickup? I have the spring but no clue how to put it in.?

I have a 1984 3/4 Ton, same door hinge, you will have to remove hinge from door and body to replace spring. You can either remove door (which is best) or block up door to remove, after replacing be sure to set hinge back into same position for proper alignment.

Hope this helpsHow do I change the door hinge spring on an 85 chevy pickup? I have the spring but no clue how to put it in.?
I dont know what bassman1 is talking about...You dont have to remove the door the change the spring..



If you go to your local parts store chain, they have a tool that collapses the spring so you can put it in place...Most of these stores will rent tools..Which only means you pay a deposit and when you bring the tool back, you get all your money back..



Anyway, with the tool it is easy...Without the tool, you can pry it in there..But, I would not advise it...There is alot of pressure on the spring...But, again, removing the door, will not do anything for you...How do I change the door hinge spring on an 85 chevy pickup? I have the spring but no clue how to put it in.?
examine the hinge carefully after looking at it you should be able to do it yourself. If you need more help your Chevy dealership or auto parts will have a detailed illustration on how to replace this spring.
I did this on my 1985 GMC pickup and it is simple but use your common since to begin with.



The hinges are bolted on and the most that you will need is either a jack stand, floor jack, piece of wood and be careful.



Get the tool from the auto parts store, collapse the spring. remove the old spring, install the new spring and re-tighten all bolts, it is that simple.



One at a time, mark the old hinges just for reference on the door and after you are finished you will most likely need to adjust it for a better fit but you are done and do not remove the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment