Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How should I talk to my dad about this situation?

Ok so I'm 16 and one of the hardest tasks I have to deal with right now besides drama and getting good grades in high school is my dad. My dad is an alcholic who drinks an 18 pack of beer in a 1 to. 1 1/2 day span of time. He has been doing this for now 3 years straight ever since my older sister went off to college 3 years ago. He is a complete embarassment because he is always drunk and never fails to make a huge scene for anywhere we go. When he's drunk he is very temterarive and any small thing u do wrong or any small thing to annoy him he blows up. For an example I had my music on a little to high and he then proceeded to stomp up to me and scream in mynface to turn it down and when I did he then gave me a 10 lecture on how I'm a ***** and how I'm inconsiderate and he doesn't understand how I have any friends. I've had this lecture about 100 and more times and even though it has completely ruined my self esteem I refuse to show him it hurts or even to cry. But it still bothers me so much. He also hurts me so much how he constantly yells at my mom and how he makes fun of her all the time. It also hurts to watch him pick on my brother telling him he's to girl or how gay he acts when he's only a 11 year old boy growing up and having fun. So basically that's wit he does - drinks sleeps and yells. He has no job and does absolutely nothing to help my mom. My mom does everything around the house and is the main supporter. So my question is how do I approach telling him how it hurts me?? I have once told him in the spring and he changed his ways for a week then went back to his ways which made me feel like **** that he didn't love us enough to stop. So yeah please help because I'm going crazy and I don't want to keep it bottled inside again where I go back into a depression and cut myself. So please help



And yes I an the only one that has balls to stand up to him because I hate him so much he can't possiby do anymore damage to me cause I refuse to give into him and let him win. I'm a strong believer in standing up for wuts right and calling out and fighting against wut is wrong. Ik some might think it's wrong but to me it's a battle to fight against wrong and I wont let him win and I will do wutever to protect my family even if it means a screaming battleHow should I talk to my dad about this situation?
hey man, sorry for your situation.



theres alot you can do. One thing you can do si be very very aggressive with this and call the local police, tell them how he is treating you guys, and if you say you dont love him and if you mean that then if he gets taken away it would be better off right? ok, so you can also tell him straight up (assuming you never did this before) tell him i dont like you at all, be rude and make him feel it, make him really feel bad for what he is doing. there is no other way to come across to alcoholics then to be rude and abrupt. i dont want to be an asshole with what im about to say.. but just listen. tell him stuff like your a dirt ball that doesent hep out around the house, you treat us like ****, you look like ****, you act like a retarded drunken baby, you make everyone in this family feel like complete and utter ****. do this when he is the least drunk, whenever that is. one last thing you can do is go to your guidance counselor and ask for help.



and, dont feel like crap!! dont listen and DONT believe what he tells you. you said you cut yourself, DONT! please dont!! its not your fault, your a better person then that.. really. never think this is your fault okay?



i hope i helped, good luck man and you mind sending me a message sometime to see how its going for you.. but you dont have to if you dont want to.. good luck manHow should I talk to my dad about this situation?
talk to him one on one as if he were your best friend...say dad we can talk as friends and not father-son...then go from there
Talk to your mom about forcing your father into a rehab program. You should find an Al-A-Teen meeting so you can talk to other teens with drunk dads.

Good Luck.
this is so sad! it hurts to read, you need to get your dad some help. tell a school counselor or someone. comfronting him yourself is well....... scary. inless you can do it when he is sober
You should confront him when he's sober. With your mother around of course to avoid any physical harm. He is being a terrible parent, so it is right that you stand up for your family and you. If things get out of hand, talk to someone about your problem (a relative...), so that they can help you out. I'm sorry to hear about this and I hope your father improves.
It sounds like your family needs to have an intervention and tell your Dad just what he is doing to your family. If your mom is not willing to leave him and your Dad is too far gone to get help, the rest of your family should seek counseling. I would strongly recommend talking to your mom. Your dad is being verbally abusive, and perhaps physically abusive as well, and it is her job to protect her children from this.
If your father will not go into a program and sober up you are going to have to reach out to a social service agency. It will take guts, no one wants to ';tell'; on one of their parents, but your families mental, emotional and financial health is at stake here. Call the national hot line http://www.pbs.org/wnet/closetohome/help and ask for help or referrals. Good luck to you and your family. Don't turn this in on yourself...get help asap!
Sweetie, I can assure you that nothing you say will change your father. He is addicted to alcohol, and even though he loves you the best he can, the bottle will always win.



Talk to your mother. Ask her what good he is? He doesn't work, he drinks and he abuses the family. What's in the relationship for her? Remind her that he is hurting his children, and the repercussions will last their lifetime.



This is what I want you to do to help protect your family: Find and go to Al Anon / Ala Teen Meetings.

Get your mother to go and take your brother. What you will learn is how to deal with this bully.



Perhaps your mother will find the strength and support within this support group to force either an effort of recovery on your father's part - or a separation from him and the family till he does.



Please do not self-harm. I know this is a hard battle. Be strong and know that there really is strength in numbers. Get to those meetings!



God bless you. I'll keep you in my thoughts.



Lulu

Mom

Grand mom

Daughter of Alcoholic Father
I am sorry that you have to put up with this and I am sorry that your mother didn't leave when their kids were a lot younger. Here is what I hope for you. Never start drinking even if everyone else does because because problem drinking begins with the first drink. People like your father never plan to get into trouble with it but that is what addiction is. When you start to date find a person who is not into drinking because you don't want to end up with a mate who is like your father. What starts off less becomes more until it is totally out of control. Your wasting your time hating your father because he doesn't care and it only upsets you more. Arguing with a drunk is like shoveling sand into the ocean. You can do it forever and get nowhere. Common sense does not work with them. Ala teen is really a help and they can really give you some ways to cope with all this. Do not ride with your father when he is drinking. ALSO Always be able to support yourself. This is really important. Too many women ( I don't know if you are a boy or girl) end up in a bad marriage with too many kids and have no way to make enough money to be independent. Even if you marry well have a good education and be ready if you ever have to be on your own. I have been around this and have escaped the problems and you will be able to do the same. I wish you peace

No comments:

Post a Comment