Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My cat seems to be displaying some behaviour problems?

My cat has always wanted to be around us when we are outside, to the shop and he often follows me around from room to room when he's in but for the last year (although not during winter as it's too cold) he doesn't really want to come in and cries at the door sometimes for hours and he won't settle down at all and will cry and pace up and down (and he's already be neutered - 2 years ago!).



He's had one bad experiences, he went missing for 3 days at 6m as tiny kitten (he's always been a small cat) before a woman found him and looked after him and contacted me as soon as she found out my details. I also had to go abroad twice and left him at home with neighbours who love him and he displays signs of loving them too but when I got back he was hostile and aggressive towards me, he often displays signs of being ';down'; when I have to go away overnight I am told. After a change of furniture and spring clean in April he got worse again and I can't remember how my cat ever was before all of this.



At first I thought he was bored (yet he doesn't want to play) and needed to go out to the toilet etc. as he won't go to the toilet in a litter tray, he insists outside and last month is the first and last time in 2 years he has used it. So I let him out whenever he wanted but there has been a new cat in the area I believe and he keeps fighting which has left me with hundred of pounds in vet bills and him with nasty wounds. So I now keep him in during the evening til mid morning.



I've had him from 6 weeks old and have always picked him up and stroked him but for some reason he hates it, wriggles about, cries and scratches although we have a house that pretty much suits him and I can't understand why he is hostile, aggressive towards me (but no one else), unaffectionate, unsettled and jumpy. Apart from the new cat on his territory I can't understand why he'd be stressed, especially indoors?



I was wondering if anyone else had the same problems? Or if they found any solutions?My cat seems to be displaying some behaviour problems?
have him checked for Toxoplasmosis-humans can catch this from cats and it looks like mental illness



more info



http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochuresMy cat seems to be displaying some behaviour problems?
Well..cats have their own mind..and choose whether or not to love..the get upset, sad, sometimes even go through depression!

I think the changing furniture was a bad idea! Not only because he's marked it as his territory, but also it has a scent of you on it. Cats, if they don't get to see you often, need something that has your scent on it. Like a security blanket! It makes them feel safe and more at home. Maybe he's grumpy because you don't exactly smell the way you use to. You don't really have his scent on you.

My cat, Brownie, Does the same thing. I've moved away from my mom and he has to stay inside.. I see him occasionally if I have the time, and when I see him he bites me, scratches me, and gets really rough! He constantly rubs on me, and when I try to leave he'll wrap his paws around my leg and bite my pants, as if he were trying to pull me back.

And my mom tells me he really misses me?! He'll have his ears back, and wagging his tail the whole time I'm there. Unless I'll stay there for an hour just petting him. Then he'll settle down enough and relax.

Long story short, he misses you. He wants your attention; good or bad. Spend time just laying with him if thats all he'll let you do. It will take a lot of pateince and hard work. It may be weeks before he settles down. Persistance. Let him sniff your hand before you pet him next time, if he snaps, don't continue to pet him. Just talk softly to him.

If he washes himself in the spot you just pet him in, don't be offended. He's just getting your scent down.
Sounds like he needs the companionship of another cat. Get your cat a kitten, Then they will both be happy kep inside away from harm from, disease, and injury
  • finger nails blue
  • programming
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment