Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What do you think of this idea for my English essay?

I'm an English major and have been given the assignment of writing, essentially, a thesis paper based on the poem of my choosing. I've decided to use Gerard Manley Hopkins' ';Spring and Fall';. How do you think this sounds? (Very very very rough draft/idea for my thesis statement):

Hopkins asserts in “Spring and Fall” that the changes in seasons directly coincides with a child's loss of innocence and realization of their own mortality.



Here's the poem:



Margaret are you grieving

Over Goldengrove unleaving?

Leaves, like the things of man, you

With your fresh thoughts care for, can you?

Ah! as the heart grows older

It will come to such sights colder

By and by, nor spare a sigh

Though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie;

And yet you will weep and know why.

Now no matter, child, the name:

Sorrow's springs are the same.

Nor mouth had, no nor mind, expressed

What heart heard of, ghost guessed:

It is the blight man was born for,

It is Margaret you mourn for.What do you think of this idea for my English essay?
it's OK...



i like the idea,

work on it some more

No comments:

Post a Comment